Nominations are open for PSTA President for the term of July 1, 2018 – June 30, 2020. Any PSTA member interested may fill out an application form and return it to Mark Perry (email@example.com), PSTA Returning Officer by Feb 8, 2018.
Applications for Education Bursaries are Due January 6th, 2018. Click the link for more information: EDUCATION BURSARIES Application 2017-2018
Cuts to education are being felt in classrooms. We need to act so that all students can become learners for life.
“The Pick a Premier campaign is the first step in a long-term strategy to get education back on the political agenda. It is a rare opportunity to influence the leadership contests in Saskatchewan’s two main political parties, and to ensure they understand the importance of properly funding public education. This is about the future of our students and the future of our province” (STF, 2017).
Click here for information about how you can participate in raising the status of public education on the political agenda.
The PSTA is happy to welcome our members back for another year of teaching and learning! We began the year with our Annual General Assembly on Aug 28th, where we passed our 2018-2019 Budget, as well as two notices of motion. The day also included PD breakout sessions and time for staff to meet and plan for the year ahead. Thanks to our membership and General Assembly Planning Committee for making the day a success!
The PSTA Representative Assembly will have their first meeting of the year on Tuesday Sept 12th. All School Staff Liaisons are encouraged to attend. Please check the calendar page for upcoming meetings and events.
On behalf of the PSTA Executive I wish you and your students all the best in the year ahead!
Thank you for all that you do for students, colleagues, and communities. Have a fun and restful summer!
If you require any assistance from the PSTA over the summer, please contact Brian Knowles, PSTA President.
I am happy to announce the PSTA Executive and Standing Committees for 2017-2018
The following positions have been appointed by acclamation:
Vice-President: Cary Pepper-Martens (Dalmeny High School)
- Jason Brose (Colonsay School)
- Cory Cox (Warman Elementary School)
- Janet Grant (Osler School)
- Daniel Klebeck (Leask Community School)
- Paul McTavish (Colonsay School)
- Sherry Nadeau (Osler School)
- Mark Perry (Warman High School)
- Scott Woods-Fehr (Warman Middle School)
- Vacant (an election to fill this position will be held in September)
The following candidates were elected to the Local Negotiation and Implementation Committee (LINC):
- Zlatan Cilimdzic (Rosthern Elementary School)
- Brenda Epp (Rosthern High School)
- Jill Hartmann Proctor (Valley Manor)
- Janet Jeffries (Valley Manor/Home Based Education)
- Justin Olnhoff (Aberdeen Composite School)
- Terri Troupe-Logue (Borden School)
- Carmen Kingsbury (Valley Manor)
- Kirsten Dyck (Dalmeny High School)
- Kyle Males (Aberdeen Composite School)
- Heather Wolfe (Warman Elementary School)
- Marcy Racicot (Valley Manor)
Treasurer: Michelle Dament
Secretary: Jen Green
Positions remain available on the Communications Committee. These positions will be filled by acclamation in the order that nomination forms are received by the Returning Officer, Katherine Blake.
Please consider volunteering for one of the vacant positions. The PSTA Communication Committee works to enhance the profile of the local association and the image of the teaching profession. This is an excellent opportunity for those interested in supporting and celebrating the work of Prairie Spirit Teachers.
The PSTA PD Committee is currently accepting submissions from presenters interested in providing PD sessions at the General Assembly. Based on previous feedback from our members, we are seeking presenters on the following topics (but not limited to):
- Arts Education – visual art, music, drama, dance
- Special Education topics – inclusion, adaptations, differentiation
- Technology in the classroom – for beginners and/or advanced
- General teaching areas – all subjects and all grades
- English as an additional language
- Practical and applied arts
- Assessment and evaluation
The success of the PD portion of our General Assembly results from the engagement of our members. Please consider sharing your knowledge, interests, questions, and expertise with your colleagues. For more information, please find the attached form and contract.
The following members have been nominated for the 2017-18 PSTA Executive and Standing Committees:
Cary Pepper-Martens (Dalmeny High School)
Lana Abercrombie (Division Office)
Jason Brose (Colonsay School)
Janet Grant (Osler School)
Daniel Klebeck (Leask Community School)
Sherry Nadeau (Osler School)
Mark Perry (Warman High School)
Scott Woods-Fehr (Warman Middle School)
Brenda Epp (Rosthern High)
Jill Hartmann Proctor (Valley Manor)
Janet Jeffries (Valley Manor/Home Based Education)
The nominations for PSTA Executive and Standing Committees for the 2017-2018 year are now open for the term of one year, from July 1, 2017 to June 30, 2018. The following positions are open for nominations:
- Vice President – 1 position
- STF Councillor – 9 positions
- Local Implementation and Negotiation Committee (LINC) – 6 positions
- Communications Committee – 3 positions
- Professional Development Committee – 5 positions
Nominations close from the floor of the May Representative Assembly on May 9, 2017.
Please return all nomination forms to:
Katherine Blake (Chief Returning Officer)
Please cc all nomination forms to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dear PSTA Members,
Brian Knowles has been acclaimed to serve as PSTA President for the term starting April 1, 2017 to June 30, 2018.
Brian has served on the PSTA LINC team as well as on the PSTA Executive as the LINC Chair. Brian most recently taught as an arts educator and Learning Facilitator at W. W. Brown school in Langham. He lives in Saskatoon with his wife, Laura, and daughters Eloise and Georgia.